Holiday's like today always lead me to reflect on the meaning of freedom and how privileged I am to have it in my life. It makes me think of my own journey as military wife, and the journey's of so many others who have come before me and who will come after me. It was just a year ago this past week that I stood on a pier on a very wet and cold day to say goodbye to my sweetheart as he set out on an 8 month journey to help others and protect our freedom. I was proud, there was no doubt, but that did not stop the constant stream of tears that did not dry for weeks. My family was supportive and helpful, but they could not fill the lonely void left in my heart. Somehow we made it though. There were days that were long and hard, times when we could not talk, there were sicknesses and sorrows, there were lonely aches and long nights, but we made it to the end.
I know that not all families have happy endings like mine. And there are no words to describe how thankful I am to every person that gives their life in service to this wonderful place that I call home. There will always be a special place in my heart for those who gave everything. Thank you to all those who have served and who are serving, and thank you to their families as well, who make the sacrifice with them. I said a prayer for all of them today. For the families that have lost loved ones, and for the families that have loved ones away serving our nation. I hope you take the time to say a prayer for them too.
No comments:
Post a Comment