Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Where Heroes Rest

 Did I tell you our baby is with Heroes? When he was born in Virginia, far away from our family and friends it was stressful for us to find a place for him to be laid to rest. I do not want to be in Virginia forever (something we figured out shortly after being here) and I had a lot of anxiety about placing my baby somewhere here when I would not be here for very long. Originally I was thinking Arlington National Cemetery would be a great place and I figured it would be a place that family would visit if they were ever in town to tour DC. Shortly after I had set my mind on this, several factors presented themselves to us and we ultimately decided on Quantico National Cemetery.



My Navy husband likes to joke that it is perfectly fitting for him to be at the Marine Base because his son probably would have joined the Marine Corps just to spite him, kind of like he joined the Navy to spite his dad a little bit. They finally placed his headstone yesterday, so we went to go see it this afternoon.  Quantico is just like Arlington in that all the headstones are the same size and have similar information. We got to pick the symbol at the top of it off of a list that basically gave one option for each religion. The "Mormon" option was Angel Moroni, and I think it is perfect for so many reasons. Then we got to pick a short phrase for the bottom.  I brought flowers but I hadn't cut the stems short enough for the plastic vases they provide. Luckily there was a kind old gentleman there who whipped out his pocket knife and helped this sad momma out.


Baby David's grave is right next to a World War II hero, born around the same time as my Grandpa. David calls those who served in World War II "the greatest generation", and the "worlds greatest heroes". It is an honor to have our son next to him, and somehow comforting, like this old gentleman is protecting him. Maybe they even know each other now. I know this sounds very odd, and probably not okay for most of you, but the perfectly drawn rows of white headstones and proud American flags are truly beautiful, and so sacred. It is very obvious that those are hallowed grounds. I am thankful for the quiet time I had to reflect on the eternities and think of a time when I can hold my little boy again. I love you forever little one.



2 comments:

  1. I just read this post. This is so special Riss! What a perfect resting place for your boy. When I read about who he is laid next to I felt the if hotness of the idea of that brave hero looking out for your little boy. I know Little David is one of the heroes in Heaven. It is so nice he can be with other heroes. Even with our knowledge with the afterlife and were our spirits go, our bodies are still an important part of who we are and who we will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *I felt the rightness :) dang auto spell haha

    ReplyDelete