Thursday, August 23, 2012

Heaven is Real

Like I said before, lots of words will be said. I say them more for me than for anyone else, but I know that my family reads them as well. Talking about my little boy and our experience together is soothing to my soul. I don't mind if people think I share too much. I just know that it makes me heavy heart feel lighter for a moment, and I really need that right now.

I was given an article from lds.org about the prophet Joseph Smith and his sweet wife Emma. They lost 6 of their 11 children before they reached adulthood. And I know that I was given it to somehow prove to me that my life is not so hard, but like I have said before, everyone's trials are different no matter how similar they look, and it does not suit us well to prove to each other how much easier or harder our lives are compared to others. Unfortunately the article just made me have more fear about the possibility of having more children in the future than anything else. I think the timing for it may have just been off.

In spite of all of that, the article ended up leading me to something else that Joseph Smith had said. I have always felt a special love and connection with the prophet Joseph, and so even though the article about his life did not bring me comfort, his words did. At a funeral for the child of a close friend of his he said, "This world is a very wicked world; and it grows more wicked and corrupt...The Lord takes away many, even in their infancy, that they my escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we soon shall have them again..."  Long before I knew little David would be coming to our family, I wondered how I would best protect my future children from the evils of this world. I wondered how I would teach them to know right when there is so much wrong. I thought about how I would keep them safe and warm, and I hoped more than anything that I would be a mother who would show her children the faith required to get them safely home to their Father in heaven again.

I wish that I had had the power to save my sweet baby. I wish that I could be cuddling with him and getting to know him now. But it is a comfort to know that my most important job as a mother, to get my children back to their Heavenly Father, is already done. My child's crown is sure, and he is eternally with God, never to be removed from His presence. How blessed a mother am I, to have a child so pure and so lovely.

If I did not have hope of seeing my beautiful baby again, I might not find comfort in any of this, and I might let the grief my heart feels every day take over. I read these words shortly after the funeral for David III, also said by the prophet Joseph:  "The only difference between the old and the young dying is, one lives longer in heaven and eternal light and glory than the other, and is freed a little sooner from this miserable, wicked world. Notwithstanding all this glory, we for a moment lose sight of it, and mourn the loss, but we do not mourn as those without hope. A question may be asked-Will mothers have their children in eternity? Yes! Yes! Mothers, you shall have your children; for they shall have eternal life, for their debt is paid."

How thankful I am that the debt has been paid for all of us by a loving Savior. And even though the pain is great, I am thankful that my child has been able to escape the trials of this world and receive his eternal crowning glory.  And I am especially thankful for the sealing covenant bestowed upon David and I to ensure that our children are eternally and forever ours.


I do not think I realized on this day a couple years ago now, how very much those sacred, special covenants would mean to us. But I am so thankful for the miracles in our life that led us to this happy day, and the miracles in our life that have transpired since, including the birth of our perfect tiny baby. Heaven is real. And we intend to be there someday with our entire forever family.





No comments:

Post a Comment