Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Later

I have been thinking about several things over the past few days. First off, We had a HUGE power outage here in Southern California on Thursday. Made me realize I am not as prepared as I thought I was. Yes we had flashlights but no spare batteries. Yes we had food storage but no way to cook it. And we had no extra water. Emergency Preparedness FAIL! We did have a radio though, and thanks to the fact that we just got a new car, we had an outlet to plug our dying phones into. President Obama happened to give a speech on jobs that night (that we missed along with the rest of the southern portion of the state and most of Arizona) but he also mentioned a few things about 9/11 that I have thought about ever since. He said that  over the past 10 years since that horrible day we have become stronger and that as Americans we do not live in fear. I felt proud to be an American, but I also thought to myself that there are times that I have more fear now than I did ten years ago. And maybe some of that has to do with my age; I was only in the 8th grade when the towers fell (though I do remember where I was, what I was doing, and all the details from the news story). But I hate to admit that I was a bit nervous as I drove toward the base today to pick up my husband from work. I am a little bit afraid every time I fly. And as a military spouse, I am always afraid that my husband will be whisked away to a far off land to fight in a war against very bad men.  I fear for my children and especially for their children, because it seems that every day there is more evil than good in the world. But I am also humble and full of faith and I know that if I put my trust in a loving Heavenly Father that I have no need to fear. I have a strong belief that the events of that day were the result of evil men using their agency to do harm, but I also believe that it was a day needed to turn the hearts of the children toward their fathers and their God. The events of that day and the people who lost their lives and the heroes that were made will never be forgotten. I am proud to be an American: Yesterday, Today, And Forever.

1 comment:

  1. luckily the power came on when it did! i drove by target on the way home from work that night and all of the water/batteries/flashlights were cleaned out (guess most people are unprepared.) all i really needed was some peanut butter. (though i did pick up some extra candles... ya know... just in case...)

    ReplyDelete