Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Silent Ranks

It seems like that new show "surprise homecoming" is gaining popularity. More and more people are talking about it.  And I am sure its lovely, but after I watched the first episode I knew I could not watch another. I absolutely hated it. And it wasn't even the fact that Billy Ray being the host is somewhat odd that turned me off. It was the sheer fact that I know exactly what it feels like for that loved one to be gone, to be wondering about where they are and what they are doing, and to pray that same fervent, pleading prayer of safe keeping every night. It makes me cry, and after all the tears last year, I just don't really like to cry. I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to work with military families every day though. Some of their stories break my heart, some of them make me laugh, and all of them I feel an instant connection with. I think I have posted this before, but in honor of those wonderful people I come in contact every day I wanted to share this poem by an anonymous author once more:

The Silent Ranks
I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens.
But I am in the military in the ranks rarely seen.
I have no rank upon my shoulders, salutes I do not give.
But the military world is the place where I live.

I'm not in the chain of command, orders I do not get.
But my husband is the one who does, this I cannot forget.
I'm not the one who fires the weapon, who puts my life on the line.
But my job is just as tough. I'm the one that's left behind.

My husband is a patriot, a brave and prideful man,
And the call to serve his country, not all can understand.
Behind the lines I see the things needed to keep this country free.
My husband makes the sacrifice, but so do our kids and me.

I love the man I married. Patriotism is his life.
But I stand among the silent ranks known as the military wife.
(this is the certificate I got when David reenlisted last year for being a military spouse. It was a big surprise and very touching)

1 comment:

  1. love that they actually did something for you! i think most wives aren't given enough credit for supporting their husbands.

    ReplyDelete