Saturday, July 16, 2011

'Til We Meet Again

My favorite and most influential teacher John Sawaya passed away today. He has been battling cancer for many years and his body was just too weak to go on. I am sure that he was welcomed home with open arms, because he truly was one of God's best souls. He was more of a friend and a mentor than simply a high school teacher. He was one of those people that touched others around him in ways no one else could. He loved his family, and his job, and his smile was contagious. He made me want to be better than I was every single day, and he taught me that happy people are the ones that have the most impact on the world. Yesterday morning I sent a note over to his house (via my little sister) that included my testimony on the Plan of Salvation. Why did it take me knowing how sick he was to share my thoughts and feelings about what I know to be true? It made me think that life is short, and even if we have been sick for a long time or a short time we never know when the exact end is. My message of love was not embarrassing or offensive, though so often I feel like it would be to those around me.  And even though I was not there with him, I felt very close to him knowing that he would soon have a deeper understanding of our Heavenly Father and His love for him. I know he was chosen even before he was born to be a teacher and to touch others lives, and I strongly believe that his teaching abilities will continue to be used to do good throughout eternity. He left behind a wife and two little girls who I wish I could hug on this day. He will live on in the lives of those he touched. And I know without a doubt that I will see my good friend John again. I love you Mr. Sawaya. And I am sure that God is with you til we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment