Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Lucky 13

Happy 2013!  We had a very low key New Year this year. It was odd to have the ball actually drop at midnight. And even more odd that people actually make watching that their main event. I am so used to that being the thing that starts the party. Watch the ball drop THEN go out to whatever event. But doing nothing was nice. We pretty much just sat in bed watching Netflix until about 11:30, then we watched the ball drop and went right back to watching movies. I am actually surprised the hubs even made it to midnight since he only got about 4 hours of sleep. Oh and we had a midnight toast of Sparkling Grape Juice and of course the traditional midnight smooch. :) (phone photos=low quality)





New Years eve we went out to the cemetery to collect the small christmas tree we had out for the past month. They throw them all away on New Years Day and we want to use the same one again next year. When we got there we discovered someone had also added a Christmas wreath and a small bunch of red flowers (that are hiding behind the wreath in this picture and the tree had already been removed).



The nice thing about military cemeteries is there is usually someone around even if you are not to bring nice things. I sometimes freak out whenever I think about moving away from here, which will eventually happen because that is just how military life goes. But it definitely warmed my heart to see this, and was a comfort to know that if we are gone there will be caring people there.

I have been trying really hard to not have expectations this year. I did not set any new years resolutions because we more focus on the day to day around here now. And I find that things never happen quite how we want them to, so if I do not expect this year to be better than last year, I will not be disappointed if it doesn't happen. At the same time, I also was hoping to feel different once January 1st hit. But I felt about the same except for the fact that my husband pointed out to me that a new year means we are getting older. uh thanks dear.  He also pointed out that there was a lot of pain and sadness in 2012, but there were a lot of blessings too. That is why we need Eternal companions. To remind us of the Eternal things that we can sometimes forget. 2012 was definitely a lesson in faith and hope for us, and instead of working on something new for 2013, we are just going to continue with that.

So here is to Lucky '13. No expectations, just HOPE and FAITH.  No attempts at perfection this year. No disappointments when we fail.  We will just do the very best we can with the blessings and trials we are given.

2013 Wallace Family Theme
"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety HOPE for a better world (or year) yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which HOPE cometh of FAITH and maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abouding in good works, being led to glorify God." Book of Mormon- Ether 12:4

If you would like a free copy of the book from which our 2013 theme comes from, click here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment