Christmas snuck up on me faster than I thought it would. In some ways time is passing quickly, and in some it is not. Most days I don't even know what day of the week it is. I didn't want to celebrate Christmas this year at all really, I mean the commercial aspect of it. David, however, loves the holiday and insisted that we set up the tree anyway and I also made cookies just to make his day merry and bright.
I do try hard to focus on Christ each day and especially around Christmas time, but this year has been a little different. I find my thoughts turning toward Mary often. She was so brave. She must have suffered so much judgement by others and so many harsh words by a multitude of people who did not understand her situation. But I don't think that is where her real trial was, and I don't believe it was in raising that precious child either. I think the hardest moments came later. Even though I am sure that her sweet boy explained the plan to her many times and showed her what His purpose in living was, the day His life ended was probably the hardest day of Mary's life. Because in that moment, with all the knowledge that she had, she was just a mom missing her little boy and feeling that deep pain of separation that is felt when those we love the most are no longer here with us. And even with all the hatred around her, she never lost her faith. There are a lot of days I wish I had faith like Mary. I wish I was brave like her too. I appreciate that sacrifice so much more now that I better understand how it affected His mother and also His Father. It must have been necessary. It must have been so important. There must have been no other way, otherwise His lovely mother would have taken His place or His powerful Father would have spared His boy from the pain and spared Himself from the separation. I love Christ and His sweet mother who gave birth to him so many years ago in a humble stable in Bethlehem, and I am so glad the whole world comes together to celebrate this miracle every year.
(the tree is in the background but we are so huge apparently we block it.)
I've never taken the time to speculate this aspect of Christmas and I absolutely love the feelings and thoughts you shared. It has opened my eyes a little more to the sweet woman who was entrusted to bring our Savior into the world. Hope you're doing well Riss. I think of you often.
ReplyDelete