Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Heard a Rumor

Last night while working an event I was approached by a coworker who wished to share with me a rumor she heard about me in the office.  I do not really like rumors and I started wracking my brain thinking about what people could possibly be talking about. She said it may not be true and did not wish to offend me, and then proceeded to whisper under her breath, "Marissa, are you a Mormon?". I had no problem saying "Yes!". The rest of the conversation went like this...

Co-worker(with puzzled look): "Mormon...Like Sister Wives?"
Me: "No, nothing like that,"
Co-Worker: "But those people are Mormon"
Me: "No they actually are not, though many people think that. Would you like to hear about the differences?"
Co-Worker: "Yeah tell me, I dont know very much."
I gave her a basic outline on what I believe.
Co-Worker: "So you are basically just Christian then? Because I am Catholic and what you told me was different but it wasn't that different"
Me: "Yes, yes we are" (Happy to hear a catholic admit that a Mormon is a Christian)
Co-Worker: "Cool, I've never met a Mormon before so this is really fun" (although I am pretty positive she has met a Mormon before, and sweet she thinks I'm fun)

I got a bit of a laugh out of the entire situation. Then today, when I got to work, there was a new girl training for one of the financial positions. And guess what, she's a MORMON too! My catholic co-worker was in awe. She went from knowing no Mormons (as she believes) to 2 Mormons in only 2 days.  We are going to take over the office!  The only problem is, she went to the U so we can't be friends. Darn.

3 comments:

  1. hahahaha. i love the last line. this is hilarious.
    shayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny. What a good opportunity to be a missionary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!!! Thanks for the laugh...just so you know, I married an Aggie...USU does not like BYU...but we make it work...however, it is the UofU... ;)

    ReplyDelete