Saturday, May 22, 2010

trip down memory lane

I havent posted in awhile so this may be a bit long...sorry.  A few weeks ago David and I got sealed. It was the most amazing day.  The temple sealing was greater and more beautiful than I could have imagined.  And the day was so pretty. The sun was out and the skies were blue (I totally got a sunburn though...oops) Last week we had to move out of our apartment as we prepared for an upcoming deployment (which actually started today but I will get to that later).  As I moved the last boxes out of the apartment and scrubbed every nook and crannie in the place, I couldn't help but smile at the memories that tiny one bedroom apartment had.  We didnt have any furniture when we first moved in. We slept for 3 days on the floor until a mattress could be delivered to us with all the blankets and sheets we had(which was not very many) piled under us for "padding".  We didn't have a table either so we ate off a cardboard box covered in a blanket while seated cross legged on the floor. And the first time the ward missionaries and the bishop came over we all had a little pow wow session on the floor because we had no couches lit by one tiny lamp because that is all we had. At the time it was a little ridiculous (and uncomfortable) but looking back I think those were my favorite things about it. It was kinda sad moving out of a place with so many memories.  But I'm sure we will not settle down in one area for many many more years because of the military so I'll just have to keep all the memories locked in my mind. And now for the big news. David left today. For 7 months.  I kept it together on the ship until the very end when we were saying our last goodbyes and then I lost it. I got back to the hotel room we had been in for almost a week together, now empty, and immediately flung myself across the bed and bawled.  And then I decided that I really did want to see the ship leave the pier (after I had convinced myself that I did not want to see that) so I got back in the car and rushed back to base just in time to see them sailing off maning the rails.  It was quite a site.  And underneath my tears and sadness I did feel a little bit of pride. I know the next 7 months will be hard but it will be a learning experience also.  Already I wish that over the past couple months I wouldn't have picked some pointless little fights over things that didn't really matter and when he gets home I will work harder on not sweating the small stuff.  Good luck Mighty Iron Nickel! You will be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment